Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SLANG INTERROGATION: THE TACOS OF JOHNNY MAY CASH


I fucks with Mexican cuisine and this borderline novelty song, so don't get it twisted, but I can't get a solid grasp on the meaning of "taco" as used by JOHNNY MAY CASH and CA$H OUT. 

We servin tacos / Like we from Mexico

The references to kitchens and water-whippin suggest the tacos are cocaine products of the hard variety - we talkin krillz, Marion Barry, the gutter reggiano.  But how does crack resemble a taco?  I suppose you could argue that the tacos are hard shells, but even then it's a stretch.  The one time I smoked crack - failed attempt, that's another story - it didn't much resemble a Gordita Crunch.   They're also piling these tacos with a load of toppings: lettuce, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes.  Confusion mounts.

I just left the kitchen / Young Chop wanted me to whip up a taco

Maybe YOUNG CHOP was just hungry for tacos?  Could it all be an elaborate callback to Johnny Cash's own Taco Bell commercial?

No comments:

Post a Comment