Tuesday, May 19, 2015

TO THE INSURANCE AD CHARACTER WITH THE PLEATS, YOU'RE FAKIN' THE FUNK!


We in the thick of the NBA playoffs, which means anyone who enjoys a good game of baloncesto will be inundated with State Farm's indefensible Cliff Paul campaign.  Although the remarkably unfunny series now includes other players like Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard, Chris Paul was first, and he continues to be the most visible face of the campaign.  The premise is simple: each player has a long lost twin who is obsessed with insurance, a bizarre form of psychosis that manifests in a maniacally cheery and aggressively swagless disposition.  If this campaign could take on a physical form, I would stab its brain with its nosebone.

It's been a rough week.  First I find out Zach Randolph's nickname Z-Bo is not a play on C-Bo as I'd long thought (D-Bo, Friday).  Now I'm gettin my YouTube on and I notice Cliff Paul is a dead ringer for Large Professor in the "Fakin' The Funk" video.  The subject of the latest Cliff ad is identity theft, and now my brain is buggin out on whose identity he really thievin when I'm just tryna kick back and watch some bball, ya feel?  The "Fakin' The Funk" vid even got a basketball theme via being on the White Men Can't Jump soundtrack.  This ain't just divine coincidence.  Like Frankie & B-Real been saying, "Pay da producer!"

Cliff Paul, you a shark, and if I ever have the misfortune of buyin a policy from ya poindexter ass, I'ma imprint my Timbs on ya mug for Extra P.

2 comments: